TW: RAPE, SEXUAL ASSAULT.
Over a 20-year period, asking some 2,000 men in college questions like this: “Have you ever had sexual intercourse with someone, even though they did not want to, because they were too intoxicated [on alcohol or drugs] to resist your sexual advances?”, or “Have you ever had sexual intercourse with an adult when they didn’t want to because you used physical force [twisting their arm, holding them down, etc.] if they didn’t cooperate?”
About 1 in 16 men answered “yes” to these or similar questions.
1 in sixteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen are you kidding me
if we got 1 in 16 motherfuckers admitting to raping women on college campuses and are “very forthcoming. In fact, they are eager to talk about their experience”, you better fucking believe tossing out your short skirt and staying in at night isn’t going to keep you safe.
In a survey of 11-14 year-old boys…
- 51% believed that “forced sex” is acceptable if a boy spends a lot of money on a girl
- 31% believed that it would be okay to rape someone with past sexual experience
- 65% believed that sexual assault is okay if dating for more than 6 months
- 87% believed that sexual assault is okay if the perpetrator and victim are married
…aaand in a survey of college males…
- 1 in 12 admitted to committing rape (under the legal definition)
- 35% admitted that they would commit rape under circumstances if they could get away with it
…and in another…
- 43% of college-aged men admitted to using “coercive behavior” such as ignoring a woman’s nonconsent and using physical aggression
really? how does this not make me even more scared? fuck
reblogging for commentary
And these numbers are based on the guys who are WILLING to admit their sexual misconduct. How many are there that wouldn’t?
I’m going to throw up.
fuck this is scary
This is the number one issue screwing up our society today. More than half of my female friends have been raped, and the number is higher if you counted those who had sex in situations they’re not calling rape but I would - they’re giving the guy the benefit of the doubt about how clearly they were able to make him believe the “no”. It should be way way higher on everyone’s agenda, male or female!
Also, it makes me so fucking angry I could spit. I don’t know what to say.